Blog Week #2

 What did you learn this week? 

This week I learned the eight characteristics of living things. This includes cellular composition, genetics and heredity, maintains homeostasis, growth and change, reproduction, metabolism, movement, and responds to stimuli. I also learned that something can be living and not do these at a certain time. This means they are dormant. An example of this would be a seed in a package (at its dormant stage) vs. a seed in soil and being watered. 



Are you able to relate what you learned to what you already knew?

I was able to relate what I learned to what I already knew. I realized this when we were thinking of drawing each characteristic. For example, I knew that growth and change would be the process of someone growing up or also the evolution of a bird in a certain living space. 

What are new or remaining questions? 

A question I have about what we learned this week is "What is the best way to teach elementary-aged students about a living thing when it is dormant?" I know we did it with the seed which is great but we used a knife which could be dangerous for children so are there any other ways specifically geared towards younger kids that we could teach about the dormant stage of living things? 

Comments

  1. Hi Alyssa! I liked how you mentioned the dormant state that living things can be in, as it was a key part of this week. I also like the question that you asked as I have the same curiosity. Hopefully we learn some ways we can do that this semester!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Alyssa! Learning that things such as seeds can be dormant was new for me too. I liked the question you left us with, I too am wondering how we would be able to teach a similar lesson with something that is safe for a child to use.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Week 11

Week 12

Week 13