Week 9

 What did you learn this week?

Today we learned about natural selection. One of the main ideas was that natural selection leads to the predominance of particular traits in a given population. This means that some traits are suppressed as well. Natural selection is a sub-category of the NGSS Biological Evolution: Unity and Diversity. 

Are you able to relate what you learned to what you already knew?

I can relate what we learned to what I already knew. I have learned about natural selection a few different times throughout my life. In class, we talked about Charles Darwin very briefly. We used to talk about him in my classes prior to this. I remember "survival of the fittest," which was Charles Darwin's idea on natural selection.  

How can you apply what you've learned to your teaching in the future?

I can apply what I learned to my future classroom. In the lab, we did an activity where there were different colored beans on the table and each group member had a different utensil to pick up the beans. This is an idea of natural selection and I think it is a good way to teach students about it. The best age for this I believe would be 4th or 5th. If you did too young I think it could be a choking hazard. 



Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Alyssa!
    I never thought about how the bean activity could be a choking hazard for younger students, good point!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Alyssa! We also used to talk about Charles Darwin's ideas in my classes. I think using these activities in our future classrooms is a great idea and I like how you included an ideal grade level. I did not think about this being a choking hazard. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Alyssa! I like how you incorporated Charles Darwin, I forgot that we briefly talked about him in lab. I'm surprised we didn't talk about him more. I would also agree that the activity we did would be best for upper elementary or middle school. Good post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Alyssa! I hadn't thought about this activity being a choking hazard, so I agree that it would be better suited for 4th and 5th grade students. After all, that is likely the age that students would learn about topics like natural selection.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Week 11

Week 12

Week 13