Week 12



 What did you learn this week?

This week we learned about mass, volume, conductors, and insulators. We used water in a cylinder beaker to determine the volume of an item. There were differences between the items and differences between the sizes of items which makes for different volumes. I also learned that to accurately determine the volume you have to completely submerge the object you are testing. 

How can you apply what you've learned to your teaching in the future?

I could see myself using these activities in my future classroom. I especially liked the sink-or-float aspect of the lesson. This was enjoyable and fun. I think students would stay engaged if they did an activity like this. 

What are new or remaining questions? 

A remaining question I have is how long this activity would take for kids? My group only partially finished our activities and in total it took around 40 minutes for us to do. That's why I was curious about the time frame it would take for our students. 

Comments

  1. I also agree that I want to use the sink of float activity in my future classroom and think that it would create great engagement as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Alyssa! I also want to use these activities in my future classroom! I think they are a great way to practice recording observations. I also wonder how much time it would realistically take for students to complete these activities. How much more time would they need?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Alyssa! I also enjoyed the activity, and hope to implement it in my future classroom. Our group also had some trial and error to determine the volume of the object that needed to be fully submerged.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Alyssa I think you asked a really good question, and I am also equally curious about what the answer would be? I think maybe lesson timing is just something you learn over years of teaching, but if their is any advice about the best way to approach lesson timing I would love to know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Alyssa, I also wonder how long this would take for young students to complete. I would probably just shorten the amount of objects that the students test and focus on 3-5.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Alyssa,
    You will be lucky to have a full 40 minutes so may want to consider breaking it into component parts e.g. mass and volume one day, sink/float & magnetism the next day, etc. If that is not an option, you can also shorten the list of items to test (as Zoe D. points out). Get ready, you will find yourself fighting the clock but be sure to leave room for science!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Week 11

Week 13