Week 13



 What did you learn this week?

This week we learned about density and why some objects have more density than others. We also talked about science models and what a science model may consist of or what it may look like. We discussed that models display a hypothesis. 


Which parts did you find clear and which were confusing?

One part I found confusing was the reason behind one color of M&M's mixing with the water faster. I hypothesized that the yellow would mix with the water the fastest and I was right but I do not necessarily know why. This was similar to my hypothesis of warm water going faster than cold, which I was also right about but not 100% sure why. 

How can you apply what you've learned to your teaching in the future?

I can use this lab in the classroom in the future. I really liked the idea of an independent study of the students figuring out how they are going to reach their answers. This makes them more involved in their work since they are determining what they are going to do in the experiment. 

Comments

  1. Hi Alyssa!
    I also was confused as to why some colors seemed to bleed faster than others. I wonder if there is an actual reason, or if they are all different all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Alyssa! I also want to use this lab in the future. I think allowing the students to have more independence would be good in the later grades, but a little harder in the earlier ones. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Alyssa! I am also still confused as to why some M&Ms mix with water differently. I think it has to do with the property of substances, as well as what interacts and attracts with the substance of water. Hopefully, we get more clarity on this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Alyssa, I agree with you I struggled with the same thing I would create hypotheses and my hypothesis would be correct but I was not quite sure why. I feel if in the lesson we learned more about the importance of M&M color before the lesson, it might have helped us create a more educated guess!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Alyssa, it is interesting that we can create an experiment to determine which colors spread faster, yet we don't know why! Maybe I'll go look it up now.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Week 11

Week 12